5 Best Street Photographers of 2018
Have you ever browsed through Instagram only to see an image that stopped you dead in your tracks? Perhaps it was one featuring a crowded city street, where a huge gush of water had escaped a pipe and well dressed passersby were rushing to avoid becoming wet. If so, you may have witnessed one of the many street photography images the internet has to offer. 2018 was a visually stunning year for street photography, as creators explored the world of travel, culture, and city or hometown images. Our top 5 list showcases their work though personal websites, photography platforms, on Instagram, social media platforms, and more.
What is Street Photography:
Street photography is a form of photography done in public situations. Often, street photography is candid and may feature people, action oriented scenes, or distinct images. The name is a misnomer, as capturing images in this way does not necessarily involve streets, roadways, or urban settings (though it may). It is also not the same as photography done solely for political or investigative reporting. Street photography’s strength is capturing real or spontaneous moments, which would fade from view if not seen through a camera’s lens. In this sense, street photography documents human life. You can find this art form in full color or black & white- featured in galleries, advertisements, magazines, on Instagram and other social media platforms, and more. When well done, street photography will cause the viewer to pause and visually take in all the image has to offer.
Top 5 Street Photographers for 2018:
- Liam Wong: Wong is the opposite of subtle b&w images. A photographer and art director, he has scored big points with his night time Tokyo street photography. His work is colorful and has given him enough of a name to be featured by Adobe, Canon, Saatachi, Forbes, and Smithsonian, etc. His Instagram account has 105,000 followers, even with only 97 posts to date. There is a sense of futurism to the images he creates. His website states, “Capturing real moments and transforming them into the surreal.” <https://www.liamwong.com>
- Cocu Liu: Think you can’t become a world recognized photographer using your smartphone? Liu proves this idea wrong as he feels its the best way to create straightforward images simply. His work is colorful and careful, with a sense that he has pride in the visuals he showcases and strives to show the beauty of San Francisco. By day he works as a senior user experience designer, but in 2014 won the iPhone photography award. His website incites the same colorful simplicity that his street photography does. <http://www.coculiu.com> His Instagram is a great way to view his work: <https://www.instagram.com/cocu_liu/?hl=en>
- Aaron Berger: Aaron Berger is a New York City photographer, who takes photos the way you wish selfies would turn out- filled with vibrant color, energy, a sense of its characters and the city they live in. His website <http://www.aaron-berger.com> and Instagram page <https://www.instagram.com/aaronbergerfoto/?hl=en> show that he isn’t afraid of protests, events, colorful characters and taking a stand. His images never lack energy and movement. He is the epitome of what many think of as person focused street photography.
- Chris Connolly: Chris Connolly is a Creative Director whose images are texture, location, and architecture driven. Though his photographs sometimes contain individuals, generally his street photography is focused on finding beauty in unique surroundings. His Instagram account is not short in followers, with over 529,000 <https://www.instagram.com/chrisconnolly/?hl=en>. His website will make you wish to visit the places he does, as he can even find an interesting way to photograph a wall or tree. <http://chrisconnolly.com>
- Thomas Leuthard: Switzerland born, Leuthard’s work is b&w images from big cities around the world. Although he is newer to the craft, his talent has led to a fanbase that makes him a worldwide name. He has published free e-books of his images and frequently posts to Instagram: <https://www.instagram.com/thomas.leuthard/>. When viewing any of his pieces, the viewer gets the sense that he takes completely common, forgettable surroundings and finds a subject which makes the image unique, while retaining simplicity to each piece. His challenge to create memorable images with an inherent story pays off, with everyday people completing iconic visuals.
Have your own favorite street photographer? Let us know in the comments! As with all art forms, specific images and photographs will appeal to each individual differently. Whether you practice photography yourself or are just a fan, following our top 5 street photographers will give you a diverse perspective of photography’s best!